Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Revisiting the Goddess Problem?

I have just gotten hold of Charlene Spretnak’s “Missing Mary: the Queen of Heaven and her re-emergence in the modern Church”. I have been having a little email conversation with Charlene since I blogged about her review of “Is the Reformation Over” in NCR. The title is provocative enough. Yes, there does seem to be a re-emergence of Mary following the slackening off of Marianism after the Council, but what does it all mean?

I expect Charlene will provide some answers which may well provide some pointers to why a sizable chunk of the Catholic population have reattached themselves to Marian devotion. But with a chapter heading like “Revisiting the Church’s ‘Goddess Problem’”, I would be surprised if her explanations would cover the phenomenon as a whole.

I am eager to get stuck into it. More comments will come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home