Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bumping into Cardinals in the Bunker

Wandering down the corridor of our office block, the Cardinal Knox Centre (affectionately called "The Bunker" for obvious reasons for anyone who has ever seen it), I bumped into no less a figure than Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez SDB! I had no idea he was even in town. We shook hands, and I was introduced, and of course, I thought of all the intelligent things I could have said and insightful questions I could have asked immediately AFTER the end of our brief conversation.

He is celebrating Eucharist at Newman College Chapel tomorrow night at 6pm, followed by a reception and conversation together with Dr Donna Orsuto on the theme "Deus Caritas Est: Sharing the Love of God in a World of Fear". I can't go (although I now have an invitation) as I will be on my way to the airport, but if you want an invite, I suggest you get in touch with Mark O'Connor ASAP.

Its getting like Vatican City around here!

2 Comments:

At Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:40:00 pm , Blogger Dixie said...

Maybe this is a good time to ask...

What do you do when you greet a Cardinal? Is there a ring to kiss? What about a non-Catholic...do they need to kiss the ring? If a Cardinal is from France...do you kiss cheeks? Or does one greet a cardinal like anyone else and shake hands?

At my nephew's confirmation the archbishop got out of his car as we were walking past it in the parking lot and he stopped to talk to us. Heck...I didn't know how to greet him or what to kiss. Here...the Archbishop of the Atlanta diocese was talking to 3 Lutherans and an Orthodox in the parking lot when there were a whole boat load of Catholics around who would have appreciated it more. He probably didn't even know we weren't Catholic unless we botched the greeting. So...educate us, Herr Schutz, on greeting Cardinals and Bishops, bitte.

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:13:00 pm , Blogger Schütz said...

What do you do when you greet a Cardinal? Besides say something silly and meaningless like I did, you mean? Well, I have to admit that my first impulse was indeed to go down on my knees and kiss his ring, but I had to stop myself with the reminder that we don't do that anymore--especially not in the office corridor--so we shook hands!

Fact is that these days, if you did genuflect and kiss the ring, you would be picked for a non-Catholic quicker than you can "whistle Dixie", so to speak!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home