Thursday, May 10, 2007

Page 161 Meme

Just to put something on the blog to keep what remaining readers I have interested (I will get back into gear sooner or later as I continue to recover from my International Sojourn), I have picked up on Tom's little meme. The rules are:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open it to page 161.
3. Find the fifth full sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
5. Don’t search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.
I cheated a little because I went over the Scansoft Dragon Naturally Speaking manual (which gave an expectedly dull and unamusing result) and chose the next nearest book, which happily turned out this result:
It is not the world that is narrowed down but the soul that is broadened out, being no longer absorbed in the particular, no longer looking at the trees and unable to see the wood, but now able to view the whole.
(Ratzinger, Truth and Tolerance, page 161.)
There is no suggestion of the need to nominate other players--but if you like the idea, have a go. Nb. Doing this sort of thing changed St Augustine's life, so be careful!

3 Comments:

At Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:16:00 pm , Blogger Arabella-m said...

Hi David,

Somehow I don't think I'm a suitable participant.

The nearest book in my workplace office is 'Climate Change: An Australian Guide to the Science and Potential Impacts'

Page 161, sentence 5 is: "According to Burton et al. in Feenstra et al.(1998) these can be summarised in eight alternative but not exclusive strategies slightly edited here."

The next closest book is "Field Crop Herbicide Guide, edition 6".

Arabella.

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 9:36:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David and Arabella,
Unfortunately I sent my son to get the first book he could find and we got his current reading: The Lance Armstrong Performance Program. The fifth sentence on p.161 could have been worse than the generally sound advice of:

"Going out early helps to minimise the risks and discomforts of pollution brought on by carbon monoxide indigeous to large cities as a result of car exhaust and industrial waste."

Welcome back David!

Clara

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 8:21:00 pm , Blogger Schütz said...

Arabella,

Yours is only marginally worse that my first attempt with the software manual!

Secret: Never let a good book get too far from your side--you never know when you are going to get hit with a meme!

Hooroo to you too, Clare!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home