Friday, January 11, 2008

A "Person of Information": Amy Welborn on the demands of blogging

I have always shared the opinion of one of Jane Austen's fictional characters that to be "a person of information" is a thing to which one might reasonably aspire.

However, when one achieves this exalted rank, the pressure to always have information on everything can be a little daunting. All true bloggers know this.

Amy Welborn discusses this problem in a recent interview explaining why she stopped blogging. [Well...she didn't completely stop blogging. No true blogger can really ever stop blogging. Rather she dumped her well known "Open Book" blog (which would probably have been more appropriately called the "Instant Catholic Encyclopedia") for the more usual (and common) personal style at her new blog "Charlotte was both". The title says it all (see her explanation here)].

In her interview she said:
The effect of spending time on the Internet for me is that I know a lot, but I don't know if I'm wiser. That really started to eat at me. There's a lot of information out there and I love information, I love passing on information, but it's a time issue.
The feeling is a familiar one, Amy.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:08:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy Welborn is a classly lady -- and wise.

 
At Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:34:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classly? Obviously my keyboard can't spell.

Classy, maybe ?

 
At Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:50:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The effect of spending time on the Internet for me is that I know a lot, but I don't know if I'm wiser. That really started to eat at me. There's a lot of information out there and I love information, I love passing on information, but it's a time issue.

Yep.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home