Monday, May 05, 2008

I asked my wife...

A rule among Catholics is that we always go to "higher authority" on any matter of doubt. "Higher Authority" in my household ("SWMBO" as Rumpole would say) is a woman of great character and confidence who knows her mind on things. Not given to theological or philosophical reflection, her judgements are usually formed on the basis of experience and relationship.

I told her about recent exchanges on the blog, and recent attempts by Sydney Anglicans to counteract the effect of World Youth Day, and the conviction of many non-Catholics that the Catholic Church is simply "Anti-Christian" and an enemy of Christ and the Gospel.

"Rubbish. That's just ignorance."

As always, I bow to her superior judgement!

2 Comments:

At Monday, May 05, 2008 6:43:00 pm , Blogger Mercurius Aulicus said...

This is one of the Reasons women should not be ordained - they care more about "relationships" than theological niceties or the Truth.

 
At Monday, May 05, 2008 10:11:00 pm , Blogger Schütz said...

There may be one truth, but there are different ways of knowing.

My wife and I know each other differently from the way in which I know you, not just better, but differently (believe me).

When Christ said that we would know him and through him know the Father, it is just possible that he was talking more in terms of relationship and experience than intellectual knowledge.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home