Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Offensive? "Only Women Bleed" Triptych in Blake Prize competition

More Blake prize controversy. This time over this picture:

It took me a bit to find a photo of the picture, as most sites running this news story don't include it.

I do find the caption "Only women bleed" offensive - but also odd, as the figure on the cross is not obviously a woman. If it was, I'd find it offensive. I don't like the clawed hands, but I must say that overall the picture puts me in the mind of another (much more celebrated and worthy of praise) triptych of the crucifixion by Grunewald (in which the hands are also "clawed"):

And honestly, I find another entry not just offensive but trite and silly, namely the Corey Worthington "Sacred Heart" which most of the news stories included in their story. From the media's point of view, they seem to think this one more news worthy too.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:52:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These days, "art" just seems to mean "big pile of crap."

I wish they'd start creating stuff worthy of our notice.

 
At Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:08:00 pm , Blogger Schütz said...

True, true.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home