Monday, July 27, 2009

"Exorcism" at South Australian Lutheran Camp

Did you catch this news story a few weeks ago? I only caught up with it through reading the LCA President's comments on his page here.

I know none of the details, but it did remind me of the Vollmer case refered to in the news report above. I had close second-hand experience of that one, due to the fact that one of the men who was charged and served a three month sentence in relation to it was married to my cousin. I remember at the time being terribly frightened by the inept actions of these amateur "exorcists".

The Catholic Church not only believes in exorcism, but has trained exorcists (always priests) who are licenced by their local bishop. So my problem is not with the idea of exorcism. I am terrified that amateurs might take into their own hands both the diagnosis and the cure. Both the cases refered to in this post were misdiagnoses. That's bad enough. But, worse still, God help anyone who attempted an "exorcism" on a real demon without the expertise and experience required.

7 Comments:

At Monday, July 27, 2009 4:57:00 am , Anonymous Matthias said...

I should elaborate that I was concerned re the above mentioned email because there has been a plethora of literature,mainly in pentecostal circles,that sees the devil in every adversity we experience.

 
At Monday, July 27, 2009 11:59:00 am , Anonymous FrGregACCA said...

Two other books that always need to be mentioned in this context are Malachi Martin's "Hostage to the Devil" and Scott Peck's "People of the Lie".

 
At Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:44:00 pm , Anonymous Schütz said...

In the main they were Lutherans, although I think the one leading the group might have been a member of a pentecostal movement at the time. The Lutherans in the Western and Mallee Districts of Victoria have always been a little susceptible to Charismatic theologies due to an underlying pietism in their heritage.

 
At Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:27:00 pm , Anonymous Marco said...

Could I just ask the obvious - the President's Page (and email) states, "No pastor of the Church has been shown to be directly involved. Where is the leadership?? Why are these people allowed to go unchecked??

 
At Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:29:00 pm , Anonymous Marco said...

I just thought that the statement was a little strange in that context. Like it excused it or something. I hope that there is a behind the scenes "Please explain" to the clergy!!!

For the sake of transparency, I was a former (now VERY former) clergy-person of the said denomination.

 
At Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:01:00 pm , Anonymous matthias said...

Ah Marco one of the pastors who became a catholic?

 
At Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:40:00 pm , Anonymous Marco said...

Via Anglicanism!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home