Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It's here! It's here! It's here! Sacramentum Caritatis (sans Motu Proprio as far as I can see, though)

Yes, Sacramentum Caritatis is here folks.

I am about to print it off and retire to bed to read it through. All the work I had lined up for this evening can now take a running jump.

Nothing about the Motu Proprio as far as I can see, but there is this:

The Latin language

62. None of the above observations should cast doubt upon the importance of such large-scale liturgies. I am thinking here particularly of celebrations at international gatherings, which nowadays are held with greater frequency. The most should be made of these occasions. In order to express more clearly the unity and universality of the Church, I wish to endorse the proposal made by the Synod of Bishops, in harmony with the directives of the Second Vatican Council, (182) that, with the exception of the readings, the homily and the prayer of the faithful, such liturgies could be celebrated in Latin. Similarly, the better-known prayers (183) of the Church's tradition should be recited in Latin and, if possible, selections of Gregorian chant should be sung. Speaking more generally, I ask that future priests, from their time in the seminary, receive the preparation needed to understand and to celebrate Mass in Latin, and also to use Latin texts and execute Gregorian chant; nor should we forget that the faithful can be taught to recite the more common prayers in Latin, and also to sing parts of the liturgy to Gregorian chant. (184)
We're happy with that for the time being. More commentary tomorrow...

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:34:00 pm , Blogger Bob Catholic said...

Most excited!!! It is very good. I, too, am printing it out and taking it with me tomorrow.

I think that the totality of eucharistic living which is presented is just outstanding. I love the phrase eucharistic culture.

 
At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:12:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work, David. I thought this wasn't coming out 'til midnight our time.

 
At Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:13:00 pm , Blogger Arabella-m said...

David,

Something you might consider looking at (blogging about ?) is the way CathNews has written about the document Sacramentum Caritatis today. I think the CathNews article is very misleading in a number of ways. I’m amazed a Catholic news service has done such a bad job of summarizing the document. Because of this article there are posters on the CathNews discussion board concerned the Latin Mass will replace the ‘Modern Mass’ etc,

I wonder about the editors of CathNews at times!

Arabella

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home