Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Time for Confession!

Well, the line was huge in the Cathedral today. One line started a hour before mass and was still going half an hour afterwards.

I must say I have something of a difficulty with the "examination of conscience" thingy. It is very easy to get stuck in a rut - to always be quick to recognise those familiar sins in one's life, but to allow others to go straight through to the keeper without noticing them.

While teaching Galatians this past year, I found Chapters 5 and 6 especially useful in guaging where I was at spiritually. So, how would it be if, rather than just use the 10 Commandments, one were to make a practice of reading those passages in the bible which clearly spell out what, in God's eyes, are sins and what are virtues? Would that help?

I have found that it does - and here is a neat little page to get you started. Print it off and park it in your prayer book or missal.

And now get thee off to the box (time is running out!).

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:52:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there, done that! Good exhortation, however.

While teaching Galatians this past year, I found Chapters 5 and 6 especially useful in guaging where I was at spiritually.

I love tips like this. Always make sure you share them. I will go to check the chapters now.

Oh, and you mean "gauging" which is one of those tricky words I would never spell correctly but for a pedantic Engi lecturer.

 
At Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:20:00 pm , Blogger Schütz said...

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

 
At Saturday, December 27, 2008 1:54:00 pm , Blogger William Weedon said...

David,

Have you ever seen Dr. Korby's Beichtspiegel? It does a very good job of digging through the Ten Commandments in order to enable a thorough confession. It's here:

http://www.lcceastdistrict.ca/Publications/SelfExam%20Reflection%20Booklet.pdf

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home