Saturday, October 10, 2009

An Australian "Lutheran Catholic"?

I know that there are plenty of Lutheran pastors in the states who have "come out" as "evangelical catholics", but Australian Luthero-Catholics (or should that be "Catholo-Lutherans"? The latter is my daughter's favourite) are fairly thin on the ground. Thinner than ever since Easter 2001.

Nevertheless, wonder of wonders, behold a new blog on the landscape called "Lutheran Catholicity". It is barely conceived yet, with one entry from yesterday which reads:
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Coming Soon!

Evidences for the catholicity of the Lutheran Reformation.
Posted by Acroamaticus at 5:06 AM 1 comments
Labels: Blog Purpose

Needless to say, we here at the after-dinner table of Sentire Cum Ecclesia wait with bated breath for the first installments.

The blogger, who goes by the name of "Acroamaticus" (which according to one on-line dictionary means "of/belonging/pertaining to a musical/reading entertainment"), identifies himself as a pastor of the Lutheran Church of Australia, a convert to Lutheranism from Anglicanism, and of Anglo-Scottish descent. At one time, anyone answering such a description would have stood out like a sore toe in the ministerium of the LCA, but not today. Still, I am sure that someone out there knows who he is!

Acroamaticus has two other blogs, What Sasse Said and Glosses From An Old Manse that make interesting reading. (Sasse was a very famous theologian, a contemporary and colleague of Barth and Bonhoeffer, who took the path less travelled and ended up at North Adelaide at the Seminary where I was trained. His writings had a very formative effect on me as a young seminarian).

So, as they say, "watch that spot".

P.S. We would also welcome Acroamaticus to the table at SCE. Despite his "Anglo-Scottish" heritage, we hope the Lutherans have taught him something about drinking port in the last 14 years!

6 Comments:

At Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:54:00 pm , Anonymous Weedon said...

Lutherans drink port???

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:19:00 am , Anonymous Acroamaticus said...

Ah! I'm the subject of a post on Sentire Cum Ecclesia; fame beckons (or will it be notoriety?)
Being the retiring type it makes me feel more than a little uneasy. Perhaps I should have put less personal information in my profile, but then maybe some of those details are red herrings? (herrings... how appropriate)
Seriously, thanks for the publicity (I think) David, and for the welcome to your table, where I promise to always have my best manners on display.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:32:00 am , Anonymous Weedon said...

I do drink beer, but not often. My usual beverage is a fine chardonnay, served from a box of the Franzia variety...

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:37:00 am , Anonymous Matthias said...

Mine is a guiness or black ale.

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:44:00 am , Anonymous Schütz said...

Dominicans drink port rather than red wine?

I like chardonnay too, Pastor W. But it is a bit "poncy" here (associated with the chattering classes). Now, a decent shiraz is the way to go for strong theological discussion.

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:31:00 am , Anonymous Schütz said...

I likewise find my spirits budget in depletion. Port, on the other hand, I can still get for $4-5 a litre. "A cheese-glassful every night helps switch out the light", as they say.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home