Thursday, February 07, 2008

Remember, O Man, That Thou art Dust and to Dust Thou shalt Return...

(If it applies to him...)

Yesterday I cantored for the Lunchtime mass at the Cathedral, and by default ended up assisting with the imposition of ashes also. The dean used the traditional words "Remember, O Man, that thou art dust", but I couldn't quite bring myself to use that one for the ladies, modifying it to "Remember that thou art dust etc." Although I was tempted to use it when Dr Tracy Rowland (dean of the John Paul II institute and author of this new book on Benedict) came forward. I thought she would get the joke. I chickened out, though! Failure of nerve on my part over all, I think.

But it was one of those occasions that really made me joyful to be a Catholic. There were about 600 or 700 people present by my reckoning, and they were of all ages (lots of children--why weren't they in school I wonder?) and all cultures and all races and all classes. And they had all given up their lunchtime (and their lunches presumably) to come and receive the imposition of ashes as a mark to the start of their Lenten journey.

It reminded me of James Joyce's saying re the Catholic Church: "Here comes everyone!"

However

1 Comments:

At Friday, February 08, 2008 10:23:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Here comes everyone!"

Lovely.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home