Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Back in the pulpit...

"The aim is to try not to be dull," as Neuhaus said in the blog below. I will take that advice to heart as I enter the pulpit for the first time in about six years tomorrow at St Patrick's Church, Murrumbeena, for their Week of Prayer for Christian Unity service at 1:30pm tomorrow.

Don't worry, I won't post my sermon here. Not good style for preacher/bloggers, I reckon. Sermons are preached into a specific context and are meant to be listened to rather than read.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:55:00 am , Blogger Joshua said...

"And thirty-seventhly, dearest brethren..."

;-)

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:25:00 am , Blogger Fraser Pearce said...

But so many sermons make good reading. Surely you have read many sermons.

But don't worry - I won't be posting mine!

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:01:00 am , Blogger Schütz said...

No, not really. Well, apart from the sermons of the Fathers, and Newman, and Luther and perhaps a few others (I'm sounding like Paul saying he has never baptised anyone, aren't I?).

But it takes a remarkably good orator to both be good listening AND good reading.

Few have the skill to make a sermon both. Many have the ability to make it neither.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home